June 12, 2023 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
This training is intended for substance use prevention professionals in Texas.
Prevention works! But how? What are the foundations of evidence-based substance use and misuse prevention work? The 15-hour Prevention Skills Training (PST) provides an overview of prevention’s underlying principles. Certified trainers equip participants with introductory knowledge and skills over 5 independent learning modules.
This course is the first module of the 15-hour PST.
In this module participants begin the training by exploring social determinants of health, multiculturalism, positionality, cultural competency, and implicit bias that contribute to cultural appropriate service delivery. Participants will explore important considerations about what may influence our ability to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate prevention services.
Continuing Education Hours: 3.0*
Satisfactory completion of continuing education hours (CEHs) requires attending at least 85% of the training duration, participating in activities (e.g., polls, breakout rooms), and completing the training evaluation.
1. Elements of Cultural Competency - Monday, Jun 12 at 9am-12pm CT
2. Communication - Tuesday, Jun 13 at 9am-12pm CT
3. Child and Adolescent Development - Wednesday, Jun 14 at 9am-12pm CT
4. Risk and Protective Factors - Thursday, Jun 15 at 9am-12pm CT
5. Prevention Across the Lifespan - Friday, Jun 16 at 9am-12pm CT
This PST is virtual, occurring live over Zoom. All participants are required to join on camera and expected to fully engage in the training to be eligible to receive a Continuing Education (CE) certificate upon completion.
This training requires five separate registrations to attend each of the five modules. Registration priority will given to substance use prevention providers who have never completed a PST previously. Approved registrants will receive an email confirmation.
- Children Youth & Families Self-Assessment Checklist
- Enhanced National CLASS Standards
- LGBTQ Youth & Their Families Self-Assessment Checklist
Please direct any questions about this training to TPT via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-888-878-0865.